Frankenpack...The"best of" list

Posted by Unknown on Saturday, August 09, 2014 with No comments



I wish I had the ability to design and make a crossover day pack.  It seems like the pack manufactures simply can't get it right.  I know I am insane about this and most people do not find faults where I find faults.  I don't know how I got started on this, but it is clear that I have become a monster when it comes to finding the perfect pack.  Speaking of monsters, if I could take all the best parts of the packs I have reviewed and put them together into a Frankenpack, this is what it would consist of:


Back:  Osprey Radial 26L - Nothing beat it.  The weight of the pack is distributed across the trampoline and your back stays cool and comfy.

Shoulder straps: Marmot Trans Hauler 28L - the straps are the perfect amount of cush and stiffness.  The fabric on the side that contact the body is smooth as silk.  The reason they work is that they disappear when your wear the pack.  The only issue here is that they are set way too close together at the bottom of the pack.

Waist strap:  Patagonia Critical Mass 22L - it amazes me that the waist belt on this small pack is so well put together.  Patagonia could have gotten away with a simple 1 inch web belt and no one would have squawked.  It is odd that Patagonia didn't put this on all of their crossovers...

Laptop compartment:  Marmot Trans Hauler 28L - perfect size for a 15 inch laptop, just the right amount of padding, a pocket for a tablet, and it is accessible directly from a dedicated, waterproof zipper on the outside of the pack.  Just perfect.

Zipper pulls and zippers: Any of the packs I have reviewed by Burton - Superb zipper pulls, fat zippers where they will be under stress, waterproof zipper in critical areas, and just plain smart thinking throughout.

Main compartment opening:  Mountainsmith Colfax 25L - The big bucket style opening is big.  Did I say big?  I meant big.  It is such a gaping opening that I am tempted to climb into this pack every time I open it.  It is so simple, it opens away from the pack, and it uses a slanted zipper opening.  Please manufacturers: look at the Colfax and see how to do it right.

Divided organizer compartment: Osprey Comet 30L - This is by FAR the best execution of this compartment.  It is big, versatile, and accessible without having to go into the main compartment of the pack.  Just ridiculously good.

Build quality: Marmot Trans Hauler 28L - this thing is so solid.  It is not overbuilt like the heavy Gregory Sketch and Burton packs.  However, it will last as long as those packs because of the thoughtful choice of materials and smart decisions as to where to include reinforcement.  The only negative is the smallish zipper for the main compartment.

Side mesh pockets: Patagonia Refugio 28L - there is a lot to hate about this pack (I own it and clearly familiarity breeds contempt) but there are two things that cannot be beat on this pack.  The first are those deep, horizontally set (rather than angled) mesh pockets that could hold a 2 L bottle of Coke.  Mesh pockets are such simple features and yet everyone tries to get fancy with them and screws them up.  Don't.  Just follow the Refugio as a model and all will be well.

Sunglasses pocket:  Patagonia Refugio 28L - this is the second of the two thing that cannot be beat.  This pocket is right on the top, just the right size, fleece lined, and perfect.  I still use this pack because of that sunglasses pocket.

Compression straps:  Ivar Revel 32L, Keen Springer 29L, and Osprey Radial 26L (tied) - because they are packs I have reviewed that do not include them.  At all.  Anywhere.

Value: Mountainsmith Colfax 25L - at $54 I was tempted to just keep this pack because it was such a good deal.  I didn't, but you really should consider looking at this pack.  It has the most for the least.  I would expect to pay twice this price for this pack.  I am not exaggerating.

I will update this article as I review more packs.  For now, however, if I could mash all these features into one pack, I would be one happy man.  Now, where is Igor...