Some "must have" features that I need to add

Posted by Unknown on Saturday, August 30, 2014 with No comments


After reviewing a lot of packs, I have realized that some of the packs offer features that I did not know would be so useful when I started this search.  Readers of this blog know that I had focused on six major items that the crossover daypack that I settle on must have.  They include:

- A waist belt
- A padded laptop section
- About $130
- Divided organizer pocket
- A frame-sheet or internal structure
- 28 L capacity


With my new knowledge base that comes from handling many packs, I have to amend the 'necessity' list a bit as follows:

- A waist belt - still the most important piece for a crossover.  I will say, however, that not all waist belts are equal.  I am astounded that some manufacturers will put a skimpy 3/4 inch waist belt on an otherwise robust suspension system.  It baffles me.

- A padded laptop section - I want to add that having a SEPARATE laptop section is so useful as to be a necessity.  While I will not eliminate reviewing a pack where the laptop section is a part of the main compartment, know that I would not use one of these packs myself.  Simply too inconvenient.

- About $130 - this is a crazy statement in retrospect.  There are great packs for under $100 and some crummy ones for $200.  Locking into a price range is nuts.  You also do not always get what you pay for.  I would say that this price necessity needs to be completely scrapped.

- A divided organizer - similar to having a separate laptop section, I also think that the divided organizer needs to be separate from the main compartment.  In fact, it should be easily accessible on the front of the pack.  

- A frame-sheet or internal structure.  No change here.  Still need it.

- 28L capacity - really no change here as well.  The only thing I would add is that there is such variability when it comes to measuring pack size that I will purchase packs from 22L-32L.  You can't really know a pack's size until you fill it with the stuff you typically carry.

I would also like to add a couple of features to the necessity list:

- A pack should have either side mesh pockets that can hold a full sized Nalgene OR be hydration bladder compatible.  If it has neither, it will make a lousy weekend pack on even the most minimal hike or city exploration.

- A place to store my sunglasses where they will be safely separated from all my other bits and pieces that can scratch the lenses.  This need not be a fleece-lined pocket on top, but there needs to be some isolated place for my glasses in a convenient location on the outside of the pack.  While I understand that many of you will simply use a case and toss them into the main compartment, there are too many cases where this is a suboptimal solution.

Then there are a few things that I really dig now that I have seen them on some packs.  Packs don't HAVE to have these features, but if they do, I give the pack bonus points:

- Eliminate zipper covers and add a built in rain cover instead.  Zipper covers impede one's ability to open and close compartments and really do not offer great water proofing unless these same zipper flaps are absurdly deep and therefore become even harder to work around when unzipping a pack.  What really irks me is when a manufacturer has zipper covers AND a rain cover.  It makes not earthly sense.

- Pockets associated with the shoulder straps.  A great place for a phone or keys.  Why don't all packs have these?

- A dedicated tablet pocket.  I carry my iPad all the time and only carry my laptop sometimes.  However, when I carry both, I want my iPad to be protected from my behemoth of a laptop.

There you have it, my newly cast perspective.  Hope this helps your search for the perfect crossover day pack.