Billingham Hadley Pro Video Review (Features Score: 8; Access. Score: 7.7/10)

Posted by Unknown on Saturday, March 14, 2015 with No comments

Overall:

Pros =  18.5 points; Cons =  -10.5 points; The Billingham Hadley Pro's Features Score = 8 points. (Score sheet posted below.)  Accessibility Score: 7.7 out of 10. (Details in Accessibility section below)

Video:


The Billingham Hadley Pro - Siren or Savior?


The story goes that Billingham started making bags for sport fishermen and then noticed that photographers were using their bags for camera equipment.  The company quickly shifted to the more lucrative market and hit pay dirt.  Since then, they have garnered a passionate following.  Like Apple products, people are willing to pay a premium for Billingham bags.  Similar to Apple, you often get what you pay for.  I picture the Hadley Pro being crafted by a wispy-haired old man, wearing a beat-up leather apron, in the back of his musty-smelling Hogsmeade shoppe. Serious old world detail!


Oh the detail!
While Billingham makes a lot of bags in different configurations,  a "Billy" is recognizable by one signature feature: the leather and brass fasteners that hold down the lid of the bag (see photo above).  Called the "Quick Release System" it almost seems too "jargony" given the elegant  simplicity of the system.  Though the whole bag looks as if it was designed when this was the most popular way to travel:



In fact, however, it was designed when Woody Allen was considered quirky instead of creepy and men's fashion looked like this:


It seems amazing that a bag that was born in 1973 was actually considered retro even then!

Caveat: Similar to my review of the Domke Herald, it might seem a bit unfair to apply the same criteria I use to judge a crossover commuter bag on a camera bag.  However, these bags at least look more versatile than typical camera bags, so why not see if they will work for me?  Again, I am not judging this as a camera bag.  I am judging as a crossover commuter bag.  So, on we go.

The Hadley Pro is an expensive bag.  It retails for $285 USD, though one can find it for a bit less than that on the internet.  Similar to my review of the Domke Herald (click here), I necessarily am more critical of something that costs more than twice as much as the bags I have been reviewing.  In some sense, I understand that I might be comparing apples to oranges here (Chevys to BMWs), but I think that, in terms of performance, a bag is a bag.  If it is built better, I will acknowledge that, but it must be designed better than the cheaper bag, too.  In the case of the Domke Herald, it was better built than the Patagonia Transport 26L, but it was certainly not designed better.  Hence, The Domke was returned and the Patagonia is still sitting in its box next to me until something bumps it from the top of the mountain.  The Billingham is awfully close to doing just that.

One of the things that I have come to realize is that my ideal crossover commuter bag should not be a full substitute for my crossover day pack.  The day pack, after all, can comfortably carry a load much better than the commuter bag.  If I know that I need my computer or a full camera kit, I will opt for the day pack.  If, however, I only need my iPad mini and space for my camera with a single lens, then I can get away with a much smaller bag.  For a long time, my reviews focused on bags that could carry a 15 inch MacBook Pro.  It was not until the last few bags (starting with the STM Quantum) that I looked for a more compact bag without a laptop space.

The Billingham is a bit smaller than ideal for me.  I do need a bag that can accommodate a file folder without the index tab getting bent.  Unfortunately, the Hadley Pro can't do this.  It's close, but the tab sits just above the safe zone (see photo below).


The Billingham's top cover does sit above this top edge of the bag, so it might work, but it is not perfect and for $285 I am looking for perfection.

In terms of an organizer panel, the Hadley Pro lacks one.  This is not the deal breaker it once was for me after my review of the Domke Herald.  As long as there are a lot of large accessible pockets, then one can get away with not having an organizer panel.  The problem is that the Hadley Pro does not have a lot of pockets.  The two pockets are deep, wide, and accessible, but that's it.  Unlike the Domke where one can attach Velcro edged pockets to the walls of the two front pockets, there is no option for this in the Hadley Pro.  Additionally, the Domke had two built-in expandable side pockets both with smaller slash pocket on their fronts.  The Hadley Pro gives you the option to add side pockets at $85 a pop!  The Domke does a MUCH better job of providing useable pockets that eliminate the need for an organizer panel.  The same cannot be said for the Billingham.  (If Billingham had simply sewn in a couple of slash pockets against the back wall of their front pockets, it would have solved the problem.)  I will admit that I am tempted to buy a couple of those $85 accessory pockets - that says something about how great the rest of this bag is.

The $85 Avea accessory pouch.  This thing is beautiful.  Anyone want to donate one to me?
The only other issue I have with the bag is that the zippered pocket on the back seems like it should have been placed between the front pockets and the main compartment.  Then you could eliminate the need for a zipper cover.  I can't stand zipper covers even though I appreciate the utility of a zipper cover.  They always impede a zipper and it is not always raining!

Zipper covers.  Bah humbug!

Instead of this zippered pocket, the back of the bag should have had a simple open top pocket to fit a file folder.  If I am going all wish-listy on you, I would also love to have a zipper along the bottom of the back pocket to allow the bag to slide over the handle of a rolling suitcase.

Other than that, the bag is a joy.  Here are seven things of particular note in no particular order:

1.  The Quick Release System really works.  It is just as quick as a pair Fastex buckle and they look way better.
2.  The dome-shaped flap entirely covers the main compartment and makes this thing impervious to water coming from above.  The water proof fabric of Billingham bags is legendary.
3.   The handle is located perfectly in the center (front to back) of the bag and as a result it hangs straight down when you are carrying it by the handle.  The handle itself if thick and comfortable to use.  I find myself using it all the time.

Note the detailing on something as utilitarian as a handle.  Serious craftsmanship at work.
4. The fact that you only need to undo a single button snap to remove the camera insert is also a brilliant move.  Though I always carry my camera with me, it is good to know that I can gain back space by putting my camera into a small pouch and have the rest of the main compartment to fill with bottle of wine and two (plastic) glasses.

Throw some sausage, cheese, and grapes in and you've got a perfect summer dinner.
5.  The shoulder strap is decent enough though it does lack a shoulder pad (that can also be bought at a premium after the fact - $46).  It also can't be removed, though I cannot think of a situation when I would want to remove my shoulder strap.
6.  What's more is that the only place where this bag has Velcro is in the camera insert where customizable dividers forced Billingham's hand.
7.  If I had $170 to burn, I would buy a couple of these side accessory pockets and the shoulder pad.  This would improve the bag in terms of overall score from an 8 to an 18 and the accessibility score from a 7.7 to an 8.  That's pretty huge.

So, in the end, while I am not sure if this bag is worth $285, it is going to be very hard for me to return it.  I have read on the internet how people justify the cost by saying that their Billingham bag has lasted for a long time such that the per annum cost of the bag makes it a bargain.  I am not convinced.  I have bags that have taken abuse for years that may not look pretty, but they remain functional.  True they are not made as well as the Hadley Pro, but how much better do you need? Additionally, I get tired of bags after about three years.  Even if they remain functional, I find some excuse to look for a new one.  (I do have a blog about bags, after all!) The bottom line is that I am having a hard time justifying the cost of this bag when it does not really suit my needs as a crossover commuter bag.  The Patagonia is too big for me, but in terms of the functionality and accessibility criteria I have laid out, it is still on top of the mountain.  My search continues.

If, however, I was someone who was simply in the market for a mirror-less system camera bag, the Billingham Hadley Pro would be my first choice by a wide margin.  The bag is a beauty, made to last,  and it functions perfectly as a camera bag.  I know, as I have had my share of camera bags.  (Hmm...  A camera bag review site...)

Accessibility:

A bag's accessibility is rated on a 1 - 10 scale (10 = most).  Three major compartments are judged.  The accessibility score for this bag:

Organizer pocket(s) = 6. Once you are there, the two giant pockets are super accessible.  However, to get there, you need to lift the main flap and then you need to lift a second pocket-specific flap that is held with a metal snap.  Ugh.
Main compartment = 9. It is under a flap.  That is the only issue.
Laptop/tablet compartment = 8. If you decide to put the tablet in the back zippered pocket, you have to deal with the zipper cover.  If you decide to put the tablet in the main compartment, you have to deal with the flap.  Pick your poison.

Overall accessibility: 7.7 out of 10.

Additional Photos:

Billingham Hadley Pro front

Billingham Hadley Pro side

Billingham Hadley Pro side

Billingham Hadley Pro top

"Quick Release System" released

Details of bag

More bag details (along edge of flap cover)

Flap flopped over back of bag

View in to the "organizer" pockets

Camera insert (the camera is in my hand)

Billingham Hadley Pro without the insert

Camera insert removed showing the single button snap used to hold it in place

Score Sheet:

Item
Points +
This Bag
Notes

Made with Cordura or similar nylon material
2


Straight stitching, doubled in high stress zones, taped seams - well put together
1
1

Made with soft polyester making it flexible, quiet, gentle on clothing
2
2

Stout zippers, large pulls, and hardware
1
1

Reinforced bottom for durability and/or weather resistance
1


Compression straps to slim bag
0.5


Large external water bottle pockets
2


Separate, external access to laptop compartment
3


Separate iPad pocket
3
3

Fleece-lined external pocket for eyeglasses or phone
3


External pocket for eyeglasses or phone
2


Large rounded or paddded handle
1
1

Handle centrally placed (front to back)
0.5
0.5

Multitude of pockets for organization
2


Open slide in pocket for file folders (internal)
2


Open slide in pocket for file folders (external)
2


Ability to slide over handle of rolling luggage
1


Laptop section that is TSA friendly (opens up without laptop removal)
1


Flat bottom and perpendicular sides allow bag to stand on own
2
2

Organizer panel within an outer pocket to allow to easy access
1


A dedicated cell-phone pocket
1


A dedicated cell-phone pocket that is large enough to fit an iPhone 6
0.5


Large padded shoulder pad with stick coating
1


No Velcro used to keep flap closed (quiet and professional)
2
2

Xtra bright inner lining allowing you to see items easily
2


Light inner lining allowing you to see items easily
1
1
Insert only
Stiff build that maintains the pack's structure when loading/placing
2
2

Outer lashing points for attaching accessories
1


Fully waterproof without needing rain cover
3
3

Waterproof cover provided
1



Total
18.5

Item
Points -
This Bag
Notes

Soft material that will not wear as well as nylon
-1
-1

Simple handle that digs into hand
-0.5


Cannot stay upright due to design
-3


Tips forward when sitting - unstable
-1


No fleece lining in outside pocket for glasses
-1
-1

No fleece lining in the laptop or tablet pockets
-0.5
-0.5

No pass through for attaching to rolling luggage
-1
-1

No dedicated tablet pocket
-2


No external pocket for glasses, phone
-1
-1

No flap for weatherproofing
-1


No external pocket for holding a water bottle
-1
-1

No lash points
-0.5
-0.5

Handle in middle prevents easily hanging bag on hook
-0.5


Poor hardware choice or design (small zippers, placement of compression straps, etc.)
-1


Lack of reinforced bottom allow for excess wear and poor weatherproofing
-1

not sure
Black interior making it hard to see item in the bottom of bag
-1
-1

No open file folder pocket
-2
-2

Velcro closure for main flap (loud and unnecessary)
-2


No strap or buckle to hold laptop in pocket if in main compartment
-1


The dedicated cell phone pocket will only fit a small phone
-0.5


Thin or nonexistent shoulder pad
-1
-1

Handle is located in such a way that picking up the bag kicks it into your knee
-0.5


Deep zipper covers that impede opening
-2
-0.5
back pocket
No waterproofing and points open to rain
-2



Total
-10.5