#2 Stupid Design Decision

Posted by Unknown on Monday, March 02, 2015 with 2 comments


I wrote about my #1 SDD (Stupid Design Decision) here.  Now I want to continue to add to this list with the #2 SDD:  Velcro.

I understand why manufacturers use Velcro on bags.  It is a cheap, quick, and an easy way to secure a flap.  It is also a good way to allow for customization as shown in the divided camera insert below:



The latter use I get - it makes sense.  Once you move those dividers into place, you don't have to move them to get access to your gear.  When you use Velcro to secure a flap on a messenger bag, however, you have no choice but to pull apart the hooks from the loops dozens of times a day to get to your gear.

Sure it is fast, but does the benefit outweighs the cost?  Frankly, I am not sure why securing a flap with a plastic buckle (Fastex or otherwise) has somehow become equated with slow and inconvenient.  I get that a plastic buckle is slower than Velcro, but it is certainly not slow by any means.  I suppose it is a matter of perspective, but I have leather messenger bags that are secured by a buckle like the one holding up my pants.  Now that is truly slow.

What's with the coffee beans?
Fastex buckles, however, are much closer to the Velcro side of the 'speedy versus slow spectrum.'  In fact, were I to graphs this in a completely scientific way it would look something like this:


Do we really need the extra 1.63 cm of speed (as measured on my screen)?  Particularly given this:


As I have said in numerous reviews, Velcro is loud - particularly in quiet places like board rooms and libraries.  You can't help but hear the sound of someone ripping open their bag when it is covered in Velcro.  God help the poor soul if his pen and computer are behind another wall of Velcro.  There is no way to make opening Velcro unobtrusive. I have tried.  Going slow sounds like AM radio static rather than the normal speed equivalent to the Cool Aid Jug breaking through a brick wall. Sometimes I will just rip fast to get it over with thinking it is similar pulling out an eyebrow hair.  It's not (in both cases).



Velcro does do one thing very well:  It makes everyone notice that you came late to the meeting.

So, please, bag manufacturers, leave off the Velcro.  Particularly if you have the Fastex buckles as well.  As to those few bags that use Velcro exclusively to secure the flap...get ready to earn low scores on my reviews if I even bother to review your bag in the first place.





Categories: